I had originally filmed the 1970s ident (above) off 8mm projection in ex-projectionist and curator of the Curzon Collection, Maurice Thornton’s mini-cinema in a shed in his back garden – it has a wonderful nostalgic feel to it, including the patina of dust and scratches you’d expect it to have accumulated over the years, and it’s the version that I remember from my childhood. I asked the current manager of the Curzon, Gareth Negus, to put in a good word with Pearl and Dean (as they are the cinema’s advertising agent) and Peter Seabrook-Harris has very generously not only given permission but also sent copies of other versions from as far back as the 1950s. I think it will be really fun for people to manipulate the cinema and randomly trigger the iconic Asteroid theme-tune, or one of the earlier versions, before the main feature – hopefully a truly cinematic experience.
Pearl and Dean Asteroid ident for the Curzon Projection Hero
- DCRC Director Mandy Rose will be presenting at Conductrr Conference in London, 16/10 – Stories of Our Shared World
- This weekend sees DCRC Director Mandy Rose at Web Documentary and Digital Storytelling – in Pisa
- Cultural Value Seminars at DCRC – Autumn 2015
- Producing Participation: Documentary as a Co-Created Practice
- DCRC recommends: Estate, A Reverie + panel discussion – October 4th